We have had a few questions recently about Air Pollution and Haze, and what you can do when it gets really bad. In response to this we decided to do a little research and find out the best evidence-based information we could find. We decided to develop a simplified infographic (our first!) on Living with Air Pollution, in this we have included:
- What the Air Quality Index (AQI) is.
- A review of how to find the best AQI measurement anywhere in the world.
- What to do if the AQI increases above certain levels, and what groups are impacted the most.
- What to look for when purchasing a face / dust mask.
- What to look for when purchasing an air filter / purifier for the home.
We have included all references so you can check for yourselves the basis for our recommendations. What we found most interesting was that the use of surgical masks (which we have seen regularly here in Kuala Lumpur) is not recommended for minimizing the risk of air pollution, and that information from the World Health Organization showed that in 2012 air pollution was the cause of 3.7 Million premature deaths globally, which is quite amazing. If anyone has any comments or ideas for future updates please comment below. We hope you find it useful.
The top image is a PNG version of the infographic, you can find the JPEG version here. For the PDF version please see below.