Kids love to play and explore and we as care givers need to encourage it. Not only is it great for their development, play is how young children problem solve, learn, and flourish.
Toys are likely to be chewed on, thrown and even jumped on! It is important that toys and equipment meet international safety standards – these rules will help you ensure, that you have purchased a quality product that is less likely to fall apart and pose a risk to your child.
Our focus will be on the following topics in this category:
- Safety Standards
- Age Appropriate toys
- Parents and their role in Play
- Children’s Free-Time
- Screen Time (Computers, Television, Phones & Tablets)
- Government Law and Policies
For all articles linked to these areas click the button below.
See below for all PDF reports on this topic.
See below for the most recent articles.
- Childhood Concussion Can Have Long Term Health Impacts - Participating in team and individual sport programs can help children develop their fine and gross motor skills as well as improve their social skills and confidence. Sport is a great way to make friends, learn to wait and take turns as well as build resilience. As care givers we need to be aware of possible […]
- Baby Walkers Injure and Kill Kids - Did you know that the sale, advertisement and import of baby walkers was banned in Canada in 2004? Or that the American Academy of Pediatrics called for the total ban and recall of baby walkers in 1995 and 2001 (although the recommendation was ignored)? Or how about the fact that the Medical Journal of Australia […]
- Water Safety Basics at Home - Water safety skills and learning to swim are life saving skills, drowning is one of the leading causes of accidental death to children and can occur quickly and silently in the bathtub, swimming pool or even a laundry bucket. You can minimize the drowning hazards for toddlers and children in your home, here are our […]
- Top 20 Family Destinations in Singapore - Singapore is the ultimate family friendly destination in South East Asia. Notoriously safe and clean and with stroller access at most locations you will find it easy to get around with babies and children. All good hotels will have a swimming pool to cool down in after a long day or to relax by if […]
- Bicycle Helmet Saves Toddler- Helmet Breaks into 10 Pieces - Shown above is an amazing picture of the bicycle helmet of an Australian boy, James, that was involved in an accident recently. According to the Herald Sun in Victoria “James was riding his scooter on the footpath with his mother Stephanie, on their daily midday run to collect his sister from kindergarten around the corner, […]
- Consumer Watchdog Warns Against the Dangers of Water Beads - If you subscribe to any play based education blogs for children you would have seen expanded water beads or “sensory balls” for kids. They are very popular and are used in childcare centers as well as home playgroups. You can also find them on Pinterest, and they are available to buy through many sellers, including […]
- Toy Safety for Kids - Children learn through play and toys have an important role in a child’s learning and development. As it is impossible to watch your child every second of the day, there are some quick and easy things you can do to ensure their toys are safe: Read the labeling on new toys. ‘Not suitable for children […]
- How to Save a Choking Baby Video By St John Ambulance - St John’s Ambulance show us how to save a choking baby in 40 seconds in their latest video. Over 40% of parents surveyed in St John’s first aid courses said they have witnessed their own baby choke and almost four-fifths didn’t know what to do when in this situation. Take a look at the video […]
- STEM vs STEAM – The Importance of Art in Education - Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education and careers have been an important part of the development of the modern world, however it is important to not discount the importance of the Arts in providing a well rounded education and career. When adding Arts to your education and career it now becomes STEAM, several studies […]
- KL Car Free Morning 2015 Calendar - Start the first and third Sunday of each month with cycling, jogging, walking or even skating on the streets of Kuala Lumpur’s Golden Triangle along with thousands of others. The morning will start at Dataran DBKL 1, Jalan Raja Laut, Kuala Lumpur from 7.00am to 9.00am. There will be no cost for entry. For more information […]