There are many things that we can do to lower the risk of accident and injury to ourselves and our children while driving.
We will focus on the following topics in car and travel safety for safer ways to travel
- Car Selection (airbags, ABS, stability-control, auto-braking, etc)
- Car Safety Devices (child car seats, baby car seats, infant car sears, booster seats, harness, etc)
- Driving Safely
- Baby Transport (strollers, prams, carriers, etc)
- Travel Health and Security
- Government Law, Regulations, Policies and Standards (in particular for baby car seats)
For all articles linked to these areas click the button below.
See below for all PDF reports on this topic.
See below for the most recent articles.
- Welcome to Rob Newman from ACRI- The team at The Safety Educator is honoured to welcome Rob Newman to our panel of experts. Rob is the founder and CEO of the Australian Child Restraint Resource Initiative (ACRI). Australia’s largest trainer of professional child passenger safety technicians. ACRI (established in 2005), is a nationwide training and support network to a diverse range […]
- Toddler Dies After Being Accidentally Run Over by Father- Our thoughts go out to the family of Mutia Noraini Ayup in Sandakan Malaysia during their grief stricken time. Three year old Mutia Noraini Ayup died of severe head injuries on Friday night after her father accidentally ran over her with his four wheel drive vehicle. He was reparking the car while at a relatives […]
- Top 10 Kids Car Safety Myths- We have heard some surprising and unbelievable myths about children’s car safety since launching The Safety Educator in 2014. Here are our Our Top 10 Kids Car Safety Myths. Please be aware that some of the media in this post has crash test dummies in simulated car accidents, this footage may be disturbing to some […]
- Coroner Recommends Mandatory Swimming Lessons in Primary Schools- Australian Coroner Caitlin English released findings this week recommending the Victorian state government implement mandatory swimming lessons in primary schools after the drowning death of a nine year old Bailey Patman on January 19, 2012. Bailey Patman was found lying face down in the water at Seaford Beach after splashing about in the […]
- 20 Tips to Keep Your Baby Happy in their Car Seat- We went through a good two months of our baby girl crying when she was secured in her car seat at 8 months of age. I remember one instance when we were stuck in the rain in the middle of peak hour and she was screaming the house down, she was also over tired and […]
- Child Car Seats Save Lives- The first week of May has been horrific for children dying on the road in ASEAN countries, with multiple fatalities due to car crashes in Malaysia alone. The Malaysian Consumers Association is urging the government to make child car seats compulsory for babies and children in cars. In our review of road fatality statistics for […]
- Child Dies After Falling Five Stories in Malaysian Mall- The Malaysian Star reported that a five year old girl fell five stories to her death at the Kenanga Wholesale City Mall in Kuala Lumpur, this afternoon. Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department director Khiruddin Drahman confirmed that prior to the incident the girl was on an escalator with her parents and sibling. He added […]
- Bicycle Helmet Saves Toddler- Helmet Breaks into 10 Pieces- Shown above is an amazing picture of the bicycle helmet of an Australian boy, James, that was involved in an accident recently. According to the Herald Sun in Victoria “James was riding his scooter on the footpath with his mother Stephanie, on their daily midday run to collect his sister from kindergarten around the corner, […]
- New Wireless Device Alerts You If Someone Unbuckles Their Seatbelt- When driving your children around it can be very hard to ensure that they keep their seatbelts on at all times, especially in the back seat. Some cars have a warning system to identify if someone is seating in a seat without a seatbelt on, but for backseats this safety device is quite uncommon. Luckily […]
- Car Seats and Balik Kampung- Is your child’s car seat installed and ready to go for your next drive? Balik kampung (Chinese New Year) is next week. With more traffic on the roads there will sadly be more accidents. Secure your child in a car seat every time you use your vehicle. Surveys tell us that one in three crashes […]
- Are School Buses Safe?- As I am now a parent myself I decided finally to research this, and was surprised by what I found. As per normal I looked for the most authoritative sources I could find on the internet. The best I could find was the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in USA, the Canada Safety Council, […]
- Child Dies After Falling into Uncovered Manhole- The Star has reported uncovered manholes as “virtual death traps in the streets of most Malaysian towns and cities” (the photo above is an example only). A four year old boy was the latest victim when he fell into an uncovered manhole in Pahang, Malaysia while walking with his mother. The Star stated that […]
- #ENDViolence Against Children Campaign Sunday November 23- The Safety Educator is supporting the #ENDviolence Against Children campaign that will be held at The School mall (Jaya One) on Sunday November 23. There will be a variety of children’s activities as well as talks from the experts on child development, play, child safety and the prevention of child abuse. Some of the […]
- Child Car Safety Restraints- Traffic accidents are the number one cause of children’s injury and death world wide. We need to keep our kids safe in the car by securing them in an age appropriate children’s car restraint. In our detailed guideline we discuss the benefits of purchasing a good children’s car safety restraint as well as compare the […]
- Travel Safety Checklist- We love travel! It is fun, exciting and inspiring. With children it can be all of those things, but it can also tiring, unpredictable and difficult. Traveling before we had kids was easy, we could visit 10 countries in 10 days on a tour, but with kids this kind of travel is just not possible. […]
- Stranger Safety Skills- Children are naturally explorative, especially in new places with new things. This makes it difficult for parents as they need to be constantly vigilant of their child’s whereabouts and actions in order to keep them safe. Strangers can sometimes be helpful and assist your child; they can also be a source of harm or danger. […]
- Child Safety in Public Places- Children are naturally exploitative, especially in new places with new things. It can be exciting being somewhere different! This makes it especially hard for parents as they need to be constantly vigilant of their child’s whereabouts and actions when in public places (shopping mall, park, festival) in order to keep them safe. Read through the […]
- Safely Riding the School Bus- If your child takes the bus to school it is vital to have safety rules in place. Talk to both your child and your child’s school about their established rules to keep your child safe in and around traffic and also while traveling. Bus and traffic safety rules for your child Don’t use headphones or […]